Last week CoreNet Chicago hosted “Data Center trends – Colo, Cloud or Construct?”
Sean Reynolds, a Regional Director in JLL’s Data Center Solutions group, moderated the panel, which featured Citadel Director of Data Center Operations Kevin Monahan and Ensono Chief Operating Officer Brian Klingbeil.
Our top 10 quotable takeaways from the event are featured below, followed by Sean’s presentation.
1. Chicago saw 32.5 MW of data center absorption in 2015. 1 MW can power 10,000 homes!
2. “Cloud” is like the Hawaiian word “Aloha.” It now means whatever you want it to mean.
3. 10 fingers and 10 toes are the most common cause of data center outages.
4. Latency dictates location – we’re talking nanoseconds, not feet or meters.
5. The hub and spoke model is growing in popularity to link data centers to downtown populations.
6. Most hacks involve simple phishing, not a devious mastermind.
7. You have to be really good at prevention and perfect at detection.
8. Density is key, think 1,700 watts in 14.7 square feet.
9. Asking about occupancy costs/SF is like asking “How long is a piece of string?” because…
10. You’re buying power availability, not square feet.
Our Chicago-based data center team continues to make the headlines. Enjoy their recent press coverage below and contact Sean Reynolds, Andy Cvengros and Matt Carolan to learn more about our Data Center services.